Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Highly Recommended

I'm breaking my own rule about foods packaged in single servings, but this is so good I'll make an exception. And although I am following the Weight Watchers program right now, and doing well, I'm not normally a huge fan of Weight Watchers brand packaged foods, for various reasons. This cream cheese is a standout product, though.

highly recommended

I'm going to eat cream cheese anyway, so it makes sense to seek out the best one for my caloric budget. This one is closer in fat content to "real" cream cheese than it is to standard light or fat-free versions, but that's why it tastes so good, with a texture that matches "the real thing" pretty closely. There are 5 grams of fat in a 60-calorie serving, but Weight Watchers has done that trickly little thing they do where they add fiber (in this case in the form of inulin, a fiber source derived from chicory root) to a food to lower its "point" value. A 1-point snack with fat and protein is fairly hard to come by, so this cream cheese is a good part of my dietary intake. To elevate it into a light meal or heavy snack, I like to spread it on a toasted whole-grain bagel, and sprinkle dry-roasted sunflower seeds on top for crunch (and more protein, good fat, and fiber). The cream cheese/sunflower seed combo also makes a really nice addition to a turkey sandwich.

I can say, from experience: GO EASY ON THE FOODS WITH ADDED INULIN. You want most of your fiber to come from the actual food it's found in, not from supplementation. One serving of Weight Watchers cream cheese a day is plenty. That said, there's nothing on this product's ingredients panel that causes me to run screaming for the hills.

nutrition panel, WW cream cheese

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh nice! We just bought a bunch of bagels, so this will be perfect. Hurray!

Liv said...

see, if it were in a tub, we could make cream cheese frosting---doh! that defeats the purpose!

ninjapoodles said...

Yeah, if I could tell Weight Watchers anything, it would be to put this in less wasteful packaging. I can handle measuring a spoonful of cream cheese out of a tub. Or, you know, making frosting for that low-cal (*ahem*) carrot cake. Whatever.